|The shop was
opened in 1878 to service the mining village of Skelmersdale by brothers
Thomas & William Garner, who were Ironmongers and Cabinet
The shop also had the first telephone in the area and therefore doubled as
the telephone exchange, having the telephone number Skelmersdale 1.
|After the deaths of the Garner
Brothers, the shop was sold to Peter Seddon in 1935, and then after his
death in 1957 to Edward (Ted) Hodges, who had worked at the shop from leaving
In 1961 Skelmersdale new town was started and it was with Ted's never
ending enthusiasm and the many great opportunities created by the coming
of the new town that has made T. & W. Garner a well - known name in
the north west of England.
On Ted's retirement in 1980, he
sold the shop to Walter & David Oakley, who in 1989 carried out
extensive building work to make the building safe. Again in 1998 further building work was carried out
to extend the shop and storage area. On completion of the work the
original cast iron signs were replaced.
Ted kept a keen interest in
the shop until his death in 1997 aged 86.
||T. & W. Garner is renowned for its wide and varied range
of goods and the friendly & helpful staff of a traditional business
who are always ready & willing to offer advice and help with your